We have a school Careers website which is available for students and parents alike.
You can find the site at: www.thepondshighcareers.com
The site contains a huge amount of information and should be your first stop when you are looking for information on anything job, careers, university and TAFE related (and there is so much more).
I’ll also communicate with you via the site as well. It has a student login area that allows you to do a number of things once you have created an account. I would ask that parents do not register as all details go into an excel document for the Careers Adviser. This will create a problem at my end.
To get an idea of what is there and what you can do, I want you to take a bit of a tour by doing the following:
- Go to the site now www.thepondshighcareers.com On the “Home Page” you will see a few things to note:
- Video – There is a careers related video that will change from time to time. Some are quite humorous, some interesting, others just informative, so remember to periodically check the website to watch them.
- The School Facebook Page – This allows for easy access to information that is current and relevant to the school community. Sometimes it is about upcoming events, although I also publish images of students who have accessed an opportunity and found it valuable.
- The Message Board – I will post messages and notices here, so keep an eye on this. This will include Social Justice and Volunteering information because this has particular pertinence to job seekers and for university applications now and in the future.
- Go to the “Calendar of Events” in the “Important Information” menu. Here you will find a calendar for the year. We will post important dates and events here. If you want to receive alerts or reminders of upcoming events, just enter your name and email address.
- The “Careers Newsletter” under the “Important Information” menu. You can subscribe to receive a Careers Newsletter every second week. These newsletters will have lots of relevant information, important dates and so on. If you wish to receive them, just enter your name and email address.
Go to the “Workplace Learning” menu. Here you will see a number of pages you can go to, including Work Experience. If you click on the red button in the Work Experience page you will find information specific to our school, including all of the documentation necessary to finalise work experience
- There are also parent pages with:
- Useful tips that will change each term.
- Interesting Career Reading like: The Future of Work with links to research and Futurist Projections.
- Useful Career Links
- The Outline of the Career Program – 2018 http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=custom-page-2
- Careers Newsletters can be found at: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=newsletter
- A Calendar of Career events: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=calendar-of-events
- Information on Tax File Numbers: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=tfn
- A Link To USI Creation: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=tfn
- A Link to Useful Career Webpages: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=links
- Information on VET Courses for 2019: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=vocational-education-and-training
- Information about the HSC: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=hsc-information
- Past HSC Exams: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/
- SBAT information: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=sbat(2)
- Information about the ROSA: http://www.thepondshighcareers.com/?page=rosa-about
- UAC Information for Year 10: http://www.uac.edu.au/schoolink/year-10.shtml
- UAC information for Years 11 & 12” http://www.uac.edu.au/schoolink/years-11+12.shtml
- Link to NESA: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/
- Link to UAC information: http://www.uac.edu.au/
- The webpage has many links under the tab Post School Options and Workplace Learning and a Secure Online Section for students to explore their interests and abilities and to organise a Career Plan. This will happen during year 10 scheduled classes.
It is important as parents that we have robust conversations with our children about their future. In my counselling I never suggest that an aspiration is unrealistic. I do however, ask students what their marks are like and encourage a plan B, C, D, and E. Students get five choices in their UAC submission. I hope this helps and rest assured I am here for support when you need it.
Greg Baird JP
Careers Adviser - The Ponds High School
Communications Officer Careers Advisers Association
work: (02) 9626 3562 mobile: 0421442800